Setting Up Mini Routes A How To Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:30 PM

Thanks, Herb. Worked like a charm, first time out. :D
I've created my very first mini route up and runnin' like a champ. :good:

Suggestion: Why don't you append/amend your first post to include these instructions as well?

weeeeeee
:bd_4:

#12 User is offline   Huecuvoe 

• Fireman
  • Group: Status: First Class
  • Simulator:MSTS

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:59 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 16 June 2010 - 10:04 PM, said:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MinirouteFolderName\launcher.exe" -runeditor

This is of course just my own opinion and should not be taken to seriously but ...

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

run launcher.exe in a mini route. It is the spawn of :bd_4: and it's only function is to read the registry to find the original installation directory of MSTS and then do the wrong thing!

You can access all of the editors in a mini route from train.exe using ...

"<Path-To-Miniroute>\train.exe" -dev:hal -toolset

-dev:hal has something to do with setting the graphics mode and may be omitted. These are the command line parameters launcher.exe uses to invoke the editors.

The reason you should not use launcher.exe is that it will invoke train.exe from the original installation folder. This can cause problems if you have a mixture of original MSTS and/or MSTSBin mini routes.

#13 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

View PostHuecuvoe, on 17 June 2010 - 05:59 AM, said:

This is of course just my own opinion and should not be taken to seriously but ...
NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! NEVER! run launcher.exe in a mini route. It is the spawn of the devil and it's only function is to read the registry to find the original installation directory of MSTS and then do the wrong thing!

You can access all of the editors in a mini route from train.exe using ...

"<Path-To-Miniroute>\train.exe" -dev:hal -toolset

I surely sign up to most of that but with one quibble. You can do RE, AE, and CE tasks in the mini, but you can never address the RGE there since it will only use registry entries. So generate a new route with the main install RGE (this is forced even if you're attempting to open the RGE in the mini), and then transfer it to the mini install...

regards,
charlie

#14 User is offline   thegrindre 

• Member, Board of Directors
  • Group: Status: Elite Member
  • Simulator:MSTS & Trainz '04 & Open Rails

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

Sheesh! You scared me half to death. :D
I changed 'em all over and that works, too. :bd_4:

#15 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:32 AM

Rich, was that never? :bigboss: I'll have to look into that. I've been using launcher as that is what MSTS originally set up in my shortcuts. But what you say makes sense. :wheelchair:

#16 User is offline   atsf37l 

• Executive Vice President
  • Simulator:ORTS

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:46 AM

OK, 20 mini routes and the main folder updated with -toolset off of train.exe. I am not sure I have ever experienced any specific problems with using launcher but some of the random fubars that occur might be exorcised by going to train.exe -toolset. It does work just fine for all things, except RGE as Charlie noted, so why take a chance, right? :wheelchair:

I'll be updating the original instructions. :bigboss:

#17 User is offline   Huecuvoe 

• Fireman

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

View Postatsf37l, on 18 June 2010 - 01:32 AM, said:

Rich, was that never? :wheelchair:

Well ... hardly ever!

No, make that never! I even delete launcher.exe from all of my mini routes. However, Charlie is correct in that some functions expect MSTS files to be located in the registry directory path. This includes the RGE, Route_Riter and Conbuilder. The way I handle this slight annoyance is that, depending on how you look at it, either none or all of my mini routes (including the original installation) are located at the MSTS registry location. I'm almost ashamed to admit it ... I am a junction junkie. I've sought medical treatment and even tried 12 step programs, but I just can't kick the junction habit.

For those who don't know, a junction is a directory symbolic link, a pointer to another directory location; something like a UNIX soft link.

http://en.wikipedia...._junction_point

My original MSTS installation was located at:

C:\Local\Games\Train Simulator

All of my mini routes are located in:

C:\Local\Games\MSTS Routes

After installation, I moved the original MSTS installation to C:\Local\Games\MSTS Routes\OEM Train Simulator and wrote a GUI front end to display a menu of mini routes and handle the junction thingy.

Attached File  TrainSimulatorWizard.jpg (33.81K)
Number of downloads: 7

"The current default Route Group" is my term for which mini route thinks it is located on the MSTS default registry path. Mini routes can be "played" from anywhere, but selecting Options will "spin the turntable" to line up the target mini route as the default Route Group.

Before anyone asks, I'm not going to share Train Simulator Wizard (at least not now). Unfortunately, it requires some knowledgeable configuration and expects support files to be in specific locations. Junctions are wonderful thingies but they can also be dangerous. You may think you're just deleting the junction and end up deleting all of the original files (for real). It's not really complicated, but I'd rather not get hate mail from someone who has accidentally deleted all of his carefully installed payware routes (and forgot to make a backup).

#18 User is offline   cr-stagg 

• Foreman Of Engines
  • Group: Status: Contributing Member
  • Simulator:OR

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:24 AM

View PostHuecuvoe, on 18 June 2010 - 10:02 AM, said:

Well ... hardly ever!

No, make that never! I even delete launcher.exe from all of my mini routes. However, Charlie is correct in that some functions expect MSTS files to be located in the registry directory path. This includes the RGE, Route_Riter and Conbuilder. .......................

FYI for those that have bought ConBuilder but have not upgraded to ver 5, ConBuilder now comes with MSTSmanager which allows you to select the Mini or Main Install that you want to use and automatically changes the registery and runs ConBuilder, or drives Train in the SIM or runs the Editor in the new path.

#19 User is offline   charlie 

• Engineer

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:10 AM

View PostHuecuvoe, on 18 June 2010 - 10:02 AM, said:

However, Charlie is correct in that some functions expect MSTS files to be located in the registry directory path. This includes the RGE, Route_Riter and Conbuilder.

S'more FYI. RouteRiter will serve the main install and any mini install you have. Just use the left-hand pane to navigate to the install of interest, select a route and confirm it...

regards,
charlie

#20 User is offline   bug45 

• Apprentice
  • Group: Status: Dispatcher
  • Simulator:Railworks

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

View Postatsf37l, on 16 June 2010 - 10:04 PM, said:

Piece of cake. Right click on the desktop and select "New" and then "Shortcut". Then type in the location of your mini-route launcher such as "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MiniRouteFolderName\launcher.exe" - with the quotes - where "MiniRouteFolderName" is the name of......wait for it......your Mini-Route folder! Then click on next. Type in the name you want to use, for example, MiniRoute Tools. Then hit finish. You now have a shortcut to the launcher program but one more step is necessary. Right click on the icon and select Properties. Target will be highlited. Hit the end button and type space -runeditor behind the quotation marks. The whole line should look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\MinirouteFolderName\launcher.exe" -runeditor

Double-clicking on this icon will now open your Editor.

;)

I might give this a try

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users