Last Updated
31 October 2019 - 01:22 PM
File Size
76.45MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
ORTS Lehigh and Hudson River (L&HR) 90 Series Heavy Consolidation (90-95)

=== DISCLAIMER ===

WARNING - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - WARNING

While I've done my absolute best to make sure everything works properly - I make no guarantees, warranties, or promises - this software is provided - as is - for use at your own risk.

WARNING - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - WARNING

=== SIMULATOR ===

The model is setup for Open Rails only - the current ENG/WAG files will not work in MSTS.

Open Rails (the free open source train simulator)
http://www.openrails.org/

=== LICENSE ===

FREEWARE: The user is hereby permitted to - use - modify - and - upload - the contents of this file - for non-commercial purposes only. Use your head and just please keep it FREE folks - as I've put hundreds of hours into this work. Please include my original README with any subsequent uploads of the model or any of the parts contained within. This pertains to my work alone and not the contributions others have made listed below - seek permission from them BEFORE uploading any of their work.

All contributors retain the rights to their respective contributions.

OWNERSHIP:

1) Sound Files: Belong to Derek Miller and he retains all rights to said files.

2) Crew Textures: Belong to Dick Cowen and he retains all rights to said files.

3) 2D Cab Files: Belong to Rick Grout and he retains all rights to said files.

=== INSTALLATION ===

Simply copy the folder "SCO_LHR280" into your "Trainset" directory and if you want the basic consists - copy them into your respective "Consists" directory. Launch ORTS and enjoy.

Example of proper install path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Trains\Trainset

Example of proper consist path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Trains\Consists

=== INTRO ===

The six monster Lehigh and Hudson River 90 class 2-8-0 Consolidations came in 1925 and 1927. Very similar to the Reading's I-10's, they were among the largest Consolidation types ever built - with a tractive effort nearly as great as the USRA's heavy Santa Fe.

=== PROTOTYPE (Steam Physics Values) ===

Wheel Arrangement: 2-8-0
Overall Wheelbase: 75.4'
Drivers: 61" dia
Weight on Drivers: 283,800 lbs
Total Locomotive Weight: 309,700 lbs
Locomotive & Tender Weight: 576,200 lbs
Grate Area: 100 sq ft
Evaporative Heating Surface: 3607 sqft
Superheating Surface: 924
Cylinders: (2) 27" x 32"
Boiler Pressure: 220 psi
Tractive Effort: 71,514 lbs
Tender Capacity: 15,000 gals. of water and 16 tons of coal.

=== MODEL NOTES ===

The model is setup for ORTS only - the current ENG/WAG files will not work in MSTS.

The model was created with 3D Canvas/Crafter Pro with a heavy reliance on the "Trainworks" plug-in tools created by Paul Gausden (Decapod).

Model textures were created with "Paint Shop Pro" and are all optimized for Open Rails.

ORTS Feature: Camera Vibration [Ctrl V] - for best results use setting 2 or 3 with this model.

ORTS Feature: The Engineer and Fireman "headout" position is set to the "Passenger Cabin View" - ORTS supports multiple Passenger Views per unit to implement this - use the [5] and [Shift 5] View in Open Rails to select these views - as it adds some relative motion to suggest head movement and increases the immersion greatly. I typically use the traditional "headout" views to look back at the train - that way - all four views from the locomotive are just a key press away.

ORTS Feature: The physics file is setup for ORTS only and will not work in MSTS.

ORTS Feature: The bell is animated when used.

ORTS Feature: The coal in the tender is a Freight Animation and will empty as used - which will also dynamically change the weight of the tender.

ORTS Feature: Additional smoke effects for injectors, compressors, and generator are included.

Train Brakes - Train and Locomotive Brakes should both be set to "Running" while not in active use - this will insure the locomotive and tender brakes will be applied/released as well when using the "Train Brake" controller.

Helper Models - included custom Helper config so the wheel rotation doesn't remain synched if double heading locomotives (denoted by "_H" on the files).

Class Light Models - included custom Class Light config to enable the class lights to be illuminated (denoted by "_CL" on the files).

=== CREDITS/CONTRIBUTIONS ===

First off - I'd like to thank all the pioneers in MSTS who figured out how all this stuff works. I've had a great deal of help from many people while working on this model and many more have provided inspiration.

ORTS Development Team - who - without their herculean efforts - none of this would be possible and I would have lost interest in Train Sims long ago... I can't thank you guys enough !

Paul Gausden - (3DC "Trainworks" Tools - Shape Viewer - Shape Fixer - Modeling Advice) What can I say - Paul's done it all. From Shape Viewer and all the fantastic tools he created for 3DC making locomotive development possible for me - answering all my questions with great patience - and - providing the tutorial that helped me figure out how this all works.

Rick Grout - (Cab Files) The steam locomotive modeler who took us to a whole new world when he released the SPS-700. When that was released - it was leaps and bounds ahead of anything we had seen to that point. He's allowed me the use of his beautiful cab files to really improve this locomotive. And again - answering countless questions and providing invaluable feedback during the modelling process.

Derek Miller - (Sounds) Who's relentless work at producing some of the most detailed steam locomotives MSTS has ever seen was a huge inspiration. Thanks for the motivation, the feedback, and graciously allowing me to use your superb sound setup.

Peter Newell - Creator of the incredible "Coals to Newcastle Site" and his work on ORTS Steam Physics - the site is the ultimate storehouse of all things physics related for ORTS. It's extremely well designed with many tools to help you crunch various calculations to aid in developing your own physics file for whatever project you're working on.

Baldwin/Copperpen/Mervyn - (Advanced Physics Curve) - helped me a great deal by creating an advanced steam curve for the ORTS physics model.

Dick Cowen - (Crew Texture) Who's done so much for this hobby. My first MSTS project was painting one of his Brit-Kits diesels. He allowed me the use of his crew textures for this model - which by the way are both self portraits of Dick - to provide an Engineer and Fireman for the cab.

Marty Feldner - (L&HR Lettering) L&HR historian and walking encyclopedia. He provided me excellent high quality lettering stencils necessary to properly label the locomotive. He created the custom font used on the model.

Elvas Tower and the Steam4Me sites are two invaluable resources that greatly helped in the development of this model.

One and all - greatly appreciated folks.

=== CONCLUSION ===

If I have forgotten anyone - I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modelling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy this model.

Regards,
Scott Brunner

Download File
Page 1 of 1

Comments

There were no comments found for this file

Page 1 of 1

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
ORTS upgrade for some locomotives - WIP by Weter  (submitted 11 April 2024 - 12:33 PM)

23 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
23 guests, 0 Anonymous Users