File Size
30.54MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
MSTS B&M R1-D Heavy Mountain #4114

=== LICENSE ===

FREEWARE: The user is hereby permitted to - use - modify - and - upload - the contents of this file - for non-commercial purposes only. Use your head and just please keep it FREE folks as I've put hundreds of hours into this work. Please include my original README with any subsequent uploads of the model or any of the parts contained within. This pertains to my work alone and not the contributions others have made listed below. All contributors retain the rights to their respective contributions.

=== DISCLAIMER ===

WARNING - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - WARNING

While I've done my absolute best to make sure everything works properly - I make no guarantees, warranties, or promises - this software is provided - as is - for use at your own risk.

WARNING - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK - WARNING

=== INTRO ===

The B&M had 18 Class R1 Baldwin built Mountains, sub-classes a, b, c, & d. In the 40's, the B&M sold the first 13 R1's to the B&O. They became B&O class T-4. Just as they had on the B&M, they served the B&O well, until the demise of steam on that road. The B&M retained the 5 R1d's for their use.

B&M's 5 R1d's left Eddystone in 1941 and entered revenue service prior to the onset of WWII. As frugal as they were (after-all, these are Yankees we're talking about here), the B&M spared no expense in their construction. Baldwin disk centers on the drivers, Centipede Tenders, Timken Roller Bearings on all engine and tender axles, you name it, they had it.

The B&M actually named their Mountains:

4113 Black Arrow
4114 Invincible
4115 Casey Jones
4116 American Progress
4117 Hercules

=== MODEL NOTES ===

The model was created with 3D Canvas/Crafter Pro with a heavy reliance on the "Trainworks" plug-in tools created by Paul Gausden (Decapod).

Model textures are all optimized for Open Rails - as that's all I use any more - if they don't look good in MSTS the fix is the standard add some noise to the texture files to remove blotches.

The intended Engineer view is the Passenger Cabin View - (5) View in Open Rails - as it adds some relative motion to suggest head movement.

The coal in the tender is a Freight Animation and will empty as used.

=== PROTOTYPE ===

Wheel Arrangement: 4-8-2
Length: 105' - 8"
Drivers: 73" dia
Weight on Drivers: 269,300 lbs
Total Locomotive Weight: 415,200 lbs
Locomotive & Tender Weight: 787,900 lbs
Grate Area: 79 sq ft
Cylinders: (2) 28" dia. x 31" stroke
Boiler Pressure: 240 psi
Tractive Effort: 67,900 lbs
Tender Capacity: 20,000 gals. of water and 21 tons of coal.

=== INSTALLATION ===

For ease of installation - a single file installer has been provided - this installer needs to be pointed to your "Train Simulator" root directory. By default - the installer should read the registry entry for your MSTS install location and populate it for you. This can be changed to accommodate mini-route - or - non standard installs.

Example of proper install path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator

=== CREDITS/CONTRIBUTIONS ===

First off I'd like to thank all the pioneers in MSTS who figured out how all this stuff works. I've had a great deal of help from many people while working on this model and many more have provided inspiration.

Paul Gausden - (3DC "Trainworks" Tools - Shape Viewer - Shape Fixer - Modelling Advice) What can I say - Paul's done it all. From Shape Viewer and all the fantastic tools he created for 3DC making locomotive development possible for me - answering all my questions with great patience - and - providing the tutorial that helped me figure out how this all works.

Rick Grout - (Cab Files) The steam locomotive modeler who took us to a whole new world when he released the SPS-700. When that was released - it was leaps and bounds ahead of anything we had seen to that point. He's allowed me the use of his beautiful cab files to really improve this locomotive. And again - answering countless questions and providing invaluable feedback during the modelling process.

Bill Hobbs - (Steam Physics) Mr. Steam Locomotive himself - created the physics to make this locomotive a joy to run. If you haven't tried to hand fire his work - you are missing out. Without realistic physics - this whole thing kind of loses its charm for me. I believe this is the last physics file he ever created for MSTS before moving on to build his first Live Steam locomotive.

Derek Miller - (Sounds - AI/Help ENG Files) Who's relentless work at producing some of the most detailed steam locomotives MSTS has ever seen was a huge inspiration. Thanks for the motivation, the feedback, and the modified sound setup.

Brandon Smith - (Sounds) Assisting Derek Miller with the sound file setup and providing many of the sound source files.

Dick Cowen - (Crew Texture) Who's done so much for this hobby. My first MSTS project was painting one of his Brit-Kits diesels. He allowed me the use of his crew textures for this model - which by the way are both self portraits of Dick - to provide an Engineer and Fireman for the cab.

Elvas Tower and the Steam4Me sites are two invaluable resources that greatly helped in the development of this model.

One and all - greatly appreciated folks.

=== CONCLUSION ===

If I have forgotten anyone I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modelling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy this model.

File Revised 4/14/18

Scott Brunner

Download File
Page 1 of 1

Comments

There were no comments found for this file

Page 1 of 1

Toggle random files Random Files

Screenshot

File Name: M.A.C. Model 4-40 Gas Rail Car
In Category: NG Railcars
Screenshot

File Name: MGS_Modern_Sawdust_burners
In Category: Buildings

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
ORTS upgrade for some locomotives - WIP by Weter  (submitted 11 April 2024 - 12:33 PM)

11 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
10 guests, 0 Anonymous Users