Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
SS Yale
Coastal Passenger Steamship Liner
Los Angeles Steamship Company
Chris Gerlach

Open Rails Only due to high poly count

This is a model of a famous west Coast Passenger Steamship that ran the route from Los Angeles to San Francisco as an overnight boat, the trip took about 15 hours. She and her sister ship the SS. Harvard were famous for decades and could carry 500 passengers. They both served as US Naval Tranports in both world wars.

This model is free for use for any sim, you may convert it and repaint her as you wish however I would reqeust a review copy of any alteration before you release and reserve the right to withold permission if the conversion does not meet minimum standards of quality. The original hull was a gift for use by Ron Piccard with his kind permission, and I have made extensive alterations for use for this beautiful ship. The textures are partly from work by John Fleming again with his kind permission for re use and others are from my own research into nautical history and marative lore.

I received generous help from many including Tim Muir, Barry Munro (Capt. Bazza), Jeff Farquar. and others in the community to whom I am forever grateful for techincal advice, encouragment and support. Without them this and other work that I do would not have been possible.

Rights and Permissions and Credits:

You may repaint this model if you wish, and i will be happy to share the TSM source file.

May God Preserve all who sail in ships such as her and those who face peril on the seas.

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
Elvas Tower
chrisgerlach9@yahoo.mail
July 2017

Builder: Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding and Engine Works
Laid down: 1906
Out of service: 9 March 1948
Struck: 18 June 1948
Fate: sold for scrap
General characteristics
Tonnage: 3,731 gross tons
Length: 407 ft (124 m)
Beam: 61 ft 3 in (18.67 m)
Draft: 18 ft (5.5 m)
Speed: 15 knots (28 km/h)

SS Yale, a 3,731 gross ton coastal passenger steamship, was built by the Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding and Engine Works in 1906. In March 1918 the U.S. Navy acquired her from the Pacific Steamship Company of Seattle, Washington, placing her in commission later in that month as USS Yale (ID-1672).
USS Yale served between March 1918 and September 1919. During World War I, the ship made 31 round-trip voyages transporting troops between Britain and France. Yale was decommissioned in early September 1919 and, in June 1920, sold for commercial operation along the Pacific Coast.

World War II
After 15 years of fast passenger service along the West Coast, Yale was laid up in 1935; in 1940 the national emergency resulting from the outbreak of World War II in Europe brought her back into use. She was used this time as a dormitory ship in Alaskan waters. The United States Navy again acquired her in April 1943 and in August she was commissioned as USS Greyhound (IX-106) on 8 August 1943 with Lieutenant Commander W. N. VanDenburgh in command. She was the third ship of the United States Navy to be named for the greyhound, a breed of tall, slender, swift hound with a narrow pointed head.

After brief service Greyhound decommissioned on 31 March 1944, and began duty as a floating barracks for personnel at various Puget Sound training schools. She was placed out of service on 9 March 1948 and her name was struck 18 June 1948. She was turned over to the Maritime Commission 12 November 1948 and placed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Washington until 5 June 1949 when she was sold for scrapping.
Sources[edit]

USS Harvard (ID-1298) in 1918 and 1920, was a troop transport that served in the United States Navy from 1918 to 1920.

Construction
SS Harvard began as the commercial passenger ship SS Harvard, and along with the sister ship SS Yale, was built in 1907 at Chester, Pennsylvania, by the Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding and Engine Works.

For a short time the SS. Harvard Served in the US Navy as a transport for both wars:

Commissioned: 25 March 1918
Decommissioned: 1920
Recommissioned: 8 August 1943
Decommissioned: 31 March 1944

The U.S. Navy commandeered her on 21 March 1918 for World War I service, assigned her the registry Identification Number (Id. No.) 1298, outfitted her for service as a troop transport at Mare Island Navy Yard at Vallejo, California, and commissioned her as USS Harvard (ID-1298) on 9 April 1918 with Lieutenant Commander M. F. Tarpey, USNRF, in command. On 11 April 1918 she was renamed USS Charles (ID-1298). The Navy later (on 28 August 1918) purchased Charles outright from her owners.
Departing Mare Island, Charles reached Hampton Roads, Virginia, on 26 June 1918. There she loaded troops and departed Newport News, Virginia, for Brest, France, on 10 July 1918. She arrived at Brest on 21 July 1918.

On 27 July 1918, Charles reported at Southampton, England, for duty as a ferry for troops crossing the English Channel. She made about 60 voyages between Southampton and Le Havre or Boulogne, France, carrying troops of all nationalities bound for action at the front during the war or for occupation duty after it ended, until 5 May 1919.

Her ferrying duties completed, Charles embarked passengers at Rotterdam in the Netherlands and at Brest for transportation to the United States, and on 15 June 1919, arrived at New York City. Her support of United States Army operations in Europe at an end, Charles arrived at the Philadelphia Navy Yard at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on 24 July 1919, and was decommissioned there on 10 June 1920.

Download File
  • You cannot upload a new file

Toggle random files Random Files

Screenshot

File Name: Ortner 65ft Mill Gondola for GN & NP
In Category: Gondolas Std Gauge
Screenshot

File Name: Stock Car (Empty)
In Category: NG Stock Cars

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
Open Rails Sounds - EMD 645 (with roots blower) by ErickC  (submitted 03 March 2024 - 06:41 AM)

18 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
18 guests, 0 Anonymous Users