File Size
33.19MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
Blue Bird Mine
Cripple Creek Mining District

this is a typical small tunnel shaft mine as found all over the western region and in the Cripple Creek Mining district. These were simple horizontal shaft mines, often exploratory looking for good veins and ore. Many were dug by small groups of miners others were sponsored by established mining companies and led to expansion if the ore proved worthy of it. Most were served by small 24 inch track mine cars which carried out the ore and the waste rock. Blasting opened up the rock face and as the tunnel progressed it was shored up by timber members and beams.

I did extensive research into the mines of Colorado to create a series of mines and this small tunnel mine is a result of that work. It is not based on any one actual mine but rather on many that i studied in photographs and the historical record. It can be used for mining in just about every part of the world from the early 1900s to the mid 20th century.

You are welcome to repaint and alter this model as you wish and require, the TSM source file is included, and you may also convert it to other formats. I only request that it not be used for commercial use of any kind without my permission. It may certainly be included in low cost distribution packages and for special projects but please contact me for permission. I would also appreciate advance notice of any release of variations and a copy of the model so released.

No liability is offered or assumed, you use at your own risk. Historic figures are available to use with this model and variations are released with it of the car full of ore and in the dumping position.

I want to acknowledge the great help and assistance I have received over the years from many in the community including Tim Muir, Barry Munro (Capt Bazza), Jeff Farquar, The Grindre, Dave Nelson, Wayne Campbell, John Fleming and others who have helped me gain some of the skills needed to do this work. I am very grateful for this help. the MSTS community at Elvas Tower and all across the world continues to add to the amazing assets for train siming in every period and region and I am happy to be able to contribute.

My research into the mines of Cripple Creek were greatly assisted by one of the leading experts on the mining history and an expert modeller, Linda Irene Tingvik who created and gave me the wonderful soil seamless texture used on this model. I am deeply grateful for her dedicated research and assistance.

You can contact me at the e mail below or Elvas Tower

Chris Gerlach (CrisGer)
November 2015

chrisgerlach9@yahoo.com

Addional Mine History:

Truax Ore Car The Truax Automatic Ore Car is one of the better known ore cars in the history of western mining. Invented by George E. Truax of Denver, CO and patented (No. 466,717) on January 5, 1892, the Truax ore car solved a major problem experienced by earlier ore cars. Unlike other cars whose door may not properly open as the car is tipped resulting in a shift in the load that carried the car and load over and down the dump, the Truax car automatically opens the door as the car is tipped and then relocks the door when the car is returned to the horizontal position. The 1895 patent (#545,433) was for an improvement in the door hinge and the 1898 patent (#607,785) was for an improvement in the door locking mechanism, both also awarded to George Truax. The brass ore car tags on these cars are coveted by collectors as an easily displayed piece of vintage heavy mining equipment. These cars were originally manufactured by the Truax Manufacturing Company of Denver, CO in the late 1890s and early 1900s. Later, the cars were also manufactured by Truax at San Francisco. Truax also sold the rights to make the cars to the Globe Iron Works of Stockton, CA. The Globe Foundry at the corner of Main and Commerce streets in Stockton was established in 1858 by E. I. Keep and Wm. H. Briggs. The foundry made mining machinery and steam engines. Changing hands many times because of removals and death, the foundry finally passed into the hands of Edward F. Cadle, who had long worked at a lathe in the foundry, and his son, Frank. The Globe Iron Works was incorporated by Cadle in 1895. They made ore cars for the mines, but refusing to employ union labor, the union miners would not handle their cars and the Globe Iron Works was eventually moved from Stockton to Sacramento in 1913 and later renamed Liberty Iron Works. Liberty produced Curtiss JN-4 aircraft to help train pilots for World War I. CHECK OUT THE TRUAX PATENT IN THE NEXT PIC

http://www.halslamppost.com/

Download File
  • You cannot upload a new file

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
Open Rails Sounds - EMD 645 (with roots blower) by ErickC  (submitted 03 March 2024 - 06:41 AM)

21 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
21 guests, 0 Anonymous Users