File Size
43.55MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
OPEN RAILS WESTERN PACIFIC 2-8-2 MIKADOS, AND TENDERS

*** THESE MODELS HAVE BEEN UPDATED FROM THEIR ORIGINAL MSTS RELEASE ***
*** CREWS ARE NO LONGER AN "FA" ON THE TENDER, SOME TEXTURE AND MODEL UPDATES HAVE BEEN DONE AS WELL ***
*** THE .ENG FILES HAVE ALSO BEEN CONFIGURED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OPEN RAILS PARAMETERS ***

***ALSO PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE "WPOR318_SHAPEUPDATE.ZIP" FILE TO CORRECT THE WHISTLE OPERATING ROD BEING TOO SHORT***

ENGINES PROVIDED IN PLAYER DRIVEABLE AND AI VERSIONS

These models have been constructed to represent how these engines would have appeared
in the 1940's TO 1950'S.

The following historical and technical information is derived from the books
"Steam Locomotives of the Western Pacific" by Stephen M. Hayes, 2010, and
"Western Pacific Steam Locomotives, Passenger Trains, and Cars"
by Guy L. Dunscomb and Fred A. Stindt, 1980:

The Western Pacific purchased number of Mikados in several batches from 1918 to 1929.

#318 is from the 4th batch ordered in Alco-Dunkirk in 1923. This batch featured Hodge trailing trucks, no boosters,
and did not originally have Elesco feedwater heaters or supplemental front air reservoirs. These features were added
in the late 1920's. All locomotives of this group were oil burners. #318 was retired in 1951, and all of this class were retired and scrapped by 1952.

#324 is from the 5th batch ordered from Alco-Dunkirk in 1924. These were the first Mikados supplied to the WP with boosters,
but they didn't have Elesco feedwater heaters or supplemental front air reservoirs added until the late 1920's. All engines
of this group were oil burners. For a time engines from this group regularly handled the Scenic Limited and Exposition Flyer
passenger trains between Oroville and Portola, CA. #324 was retired in 1950 and all Mikados of this class were retired
and scrapped by 1953.

#334 and #335 were from the last batch of 5 delivered by Alco-Schenectady in 1929. All were equipped with
Elesco feedwater heaters, supplemental front air reservoirs, boosters, and were oil burners.
All were retired and scrapped by 1953, with the exception of #334 which has the distinction of being
the last steam locomotive on WP property. She was donated to the Western Railway Museum in Rio vista, CA
in 1967, where she resides today.

Specifications:

Type: 2-8-2 Wheel Arrangement
Boiler: 200 psi, oil burning
Cylinder Bore and Stroke: 28" x 30"
Valve Gear: Walschaerts
Driving Wheels: 63" Diameter
Locomotive and Tender Length: 73' 2 1/2"
Locomotive Weight Loaded: 332,000 lbs.
Weight on Drivers: 249,000 lbs.
Tractive Effort: 60,300 lbs. with booster, 71,300 without booster

*****************************************************************************************

MODELING INFORMATION:

Locomotive and Tender models created in 3DCrafter Professional Edition, Version 9.1.1 (Build 1256). Post Processing of shape file performed with Shapefixer File Version 0.1.0.39 by Paul Gausden. Textures created using MS Paint and Photoshop Elements 6.0, and converted to .ace format by TGATool2A by Scott Miller.

NOTE: With the exception of numbering, these models were not designed with re-texturing in mind so repaints will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish. Renumbering may be accomplished by editing the file WP334nums.ace, WP335nums.ace, WP318nums.ace, and WP324nums.ace .

*****************************************************************************************

INSTALLATION:

Unzip WPOR282s.zip to a temporary folder.

Move contents to ..\Train Simulator\ folder

Accept write overs if prompted, which will place a single engine consist in the Consists folder and
the locomotive folder in the Trainset folder

NOTES ON BUILDING CONSISTS WITH THE DIFFERENT ENGINE FILE TYPES SUPPLIED:

Included in this release are 2 types of locomotives to be used depending on their use as the lead or trailing helper / pusher in a consist, or on an AI train. The difference between the "AI" and "non-AI" engines is the light entries, so they will function correctly whether on a player or AI train. The .eng files to use for these applications is as follows:

Player consist any position (lead, pusher, helper): wpor334.eng, and wpor334tend.wag
AI consist in any position: wpor334AI.eng, and wpor334tend.wag

Engine Numbers 335, 324, or 318 may be substituted in the examples above.

NOTE: Engine files are also supplied if you want to run with the white "extra" class lights turned on by substituting the .eng files that contain "xtra" in their names into the consist of your choice.

******************************************************************************************

LEGAL:

As author of this new design, I advise that it is copyrighted, but royalty free. You may use it and edit it as you wish, but you may not distribute it for money, or include it in a paid or non paid distribution without permission from Derek Miller, who can be reached via personal message at www.elvastower.com or www.trainsim.com forums (user midneguy). You must include my name in your credits, as well as my copyright notices, and this entire Readme.txt, if you repaint it, use or derive files from it, or otherwise use or distribute these files with my permission. Copyrights for content included in these files, but not created by me as listed in the credits section of this readme.txt, are retained by the original authors. Refer to the included readme text files in the installed "WPOR282s" folder for copyright and distribution information for additional content not authored by Derek Miller.

Because this program is royalty free, it is provided WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or any other warranties. There is no liability by the authors in your use of this program, instead all liability is assumed by the user.

******************************************************************************************

OPEN RAILS NOTES:

I have made every effort to make these engines compatible with the additional parameters and improvements available in Open Rails at the time these models were submitted to the file library. I may or may not make updated .eng and .wag files available as improvements continue to be made to the Open Rails program, but primary responsibility for maintaining these files to correspond with future Open Rails development will lie with the end user.

CREDITS AND THANK YOUS:

3D Models and textures © 2014 by Derek Miller with the following exceptions:

3D Model of coupler © 2004 Jeff Link and Tim Muir, Coupler Texture base © 2004 Steve Thompson

Engineer and Fireman shapes & textures (a.k.a. "Tom's Crews") are provided for use with this
model and may not be copied, modified, and/or transferred to a different model for distribution.
For information on adding "Tom's Crews" to models for distribution, contact
Tom Werb ("Sandy River Tom") via personal message at ElvasTower.com

MSTS Steam loco photorealistic cab view,
suitable for US built, small to medium locos,
circa 1910-1935. Operable controls include;
throttle, reverse lever, train and engine
brakes, bell, whistle, sander and cylinder
cocks. From photos of SVRy #19. By Rick
Grout and Steve Thompson.

Cabview also available as a separate download on www.elvastower.com ( SVRy16cabview.zip ) and
www.trainsim.com (svr16cab.zip )

Sound credits:
Whistle sound provided by Chris Signorelli & Bill Hobbs, North American Steam Whistle Pack.
Bell sound provided by Captain Bazza, aka Barry R Munro
Background and Compressor Sounds provided by Derek Miller
All other non-default sounds provided by Brandon Smith

Texturing and Modeling Advice (from elvastower.com forums): Rick (thegrindre), Tim Muir, Dave Nelson, Bill Pratt, Alexey Soljenitchev, Fleegle411, Allen Norton, and Herb Kelsey.

Providing my "I can do that" moment: Scott (scottb613 at elvastwer.com forums) and his "big dog - birth of a steam locomotive" series.

Inspiration and Encouragement: All listed above and those at the elvastower.com forums, both in the thread of the construction of these models, and inspiration from other models I have admired.

Herb Kelsey for his help in reviewing technical details of the construction of the models, and refinements to the .eng and .wag file variables.

Initial Testing and positive input: Herb Kelsey, Tim Muir, Mike Long, Jim Lambert, Dustin Raiken, Chad Hubler

Brandon Smith for providing the .sms concept and the majority of the sound files used

Tom Werb for the use of his excellent "Tom's Crews" cab figures

If I have forgotten anyone I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modeling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy these models in Open Rails!

Derek Miller
November, 2014

Download File
  • You cannot upload a new file

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
Open Rails Sounds - EMD 645 (with roots blower) by ErickC  (submitted 03 March 2024 - 06:41 AM)

12 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
12 guests, 0 Anonymous Users