Elvas Tower: MSTS Western Pacific GS-64's 481, 484, 485, 486, Tenders, and Crews - Elvas Tower

• You cannot upload a new file

MSTS Western Pacific GS-64's 481, 484, 485, 486, Tenders, and Crews Rate File: -----

Screenshot
File Name
MSTS Western Pacific GS-64's 481, 484, 485, 486, Tenders, and Crews by midneguy 
Submitted
08 October 2013 - 03:33 PM
Last Updated
08 October 2013 - 03:33 PM
File Size
42.52MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
MSTS WESTERN PACIFIC GS-64 4-8-4's #481, #484, #485, #486, TENDERS, AND CREWS

ENGINES PROVIDED IN 3 TYPES - PLAYER DRIVEABLE, HELPER (DOUBLE HEAD OR PUSHER SERVICE),
AND AI

These models have been constructed to represent how these engines would have appeared
in the 1940's to 1950'S.

The following historical and technical information is derived from the books
"Steam Locomotives of the Western Pacific" by Stephen M. Hayes, 2010, and
"Western Pacific Steam Locomotives, Passenger Trains, and Cars"
by Guy L. Dunscomb and Fred A. Stindt, 1980:

As World War II raged on, the Western Pacific needed more locomotives to help keep up with the demands of heavy wartime traffic. The Southern Pacific had placed an order for with Lima Locomotive Works in 1943 for 16 more GS-6 engines, which were essentially copies of the earlier GS-2 design for dual purpose use (freight and passenger). The war production board re-allocated six of the engines from this order to the WP, and these engines were classed as GS-64. Like the SP engines all were oil burners, were equipped with trailing truck boosters, Worthington feedwater heaters, and Elesco superheaters. The tenders were the same as those for the SP GS-6's, having 6000 gallons oil and 23,300 gallons water capacity. The GS-64's served across the WP system including the Feather River Canyon pulling freight and passenger trains until until the last was retired by 1953. Sadly, none of the GS-64's were preserved.

Specificaions:

Type: 4-8-4 Northern
Boiler: 260 psi, oil burning
Cylinder Bore and Stroke: 27" x 30"
Valve Gear: Walschaerts
Driving Wheels: 73 1/2" Diameter
Locomotive and Tender Length: 109'
Locomotive Weight Loaded: 466,100 lbs.
Weight on Drivers: 280,950 lbs.
Tractive Effort: 64,200 pounds, with booster 75,500 pounds

*****************************************************************************************

MODELING INFORMATION:

Locomotive and Tender models created in 3DCrafter Professional Edition, Version 9.1.1 (Build 1256). Post Processing of shape file performed with Shapefixer File Version 0.1.0.39 by Paul Gausden. Textures created using MS Paint and Photoshop Elements 6.0, and converted to .ace format by TGATool2A and AceIt by Scott Miller.

NOTE: With the exception of numbering, these models were not designed with re-texturing in mind so repaints will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish. Renumbering may be accomplished by editing the files WP481nums.ace, WP484nums.ace, WP485nums.ace, or WP486nums.ace .

*****************************************************************************************

INSTALLATION:

YOU MUST HAVE MSTS BIN INSTALLED FOR THE LIGHTS AND SOUNDS TO WORK CORRECTLY ON THESE MODELS. BIN IS ALSO REQUIRED FOR CAB SWITCHING BETWEEN PLAYER AND HELPER LOCOMOTIVES. All files needed to run these engines are included, no additional downloads are required.

Unzip WPMSTS484s.zip to a temporary folder.

Move contents to ..\Train Simulator\ folder

Accept write overs if prompted, which will place a single engine consist for each locomotive in the Consists folder and
the Locomotive and crew car folders in the Trainset folder.

NOTES ON BUILDING CONSISTS WITH THE DIFFERENT ENGINE FILE TYPES SUPPLIED:

Included in this release are 3 types of locomotives to be used depending on their use as the lead or single engine in a consist, helper / pusher in a consist, or on an AI train. The sound files have been configured to achieve correct engine sounds for the locomotives in each of these cases, as long as the correct .eng file is used. Please note that to make the models MSTS compatible, they are split into two pieces, a -1.eng and -2.wag, both pieces being required to appear correctly in the sim. The .eng / .wag files to use for these different applications is as follows:

Lead / single engine in Player consist: wpmsts481-1.eng, wpmsts481-2.wag, and wp484tend.wag
Trailing Helper or Pusher in Player consist: wpmsts481-1help.eng, wpmsts481-2.wag, and wp484tend.wag
AI consist in any position: wpmsts481-1AI.eng, wpmsts481-2.wag, and wp484tend.wag

Engine Numbers 484, 485, or 486 may be substituted in the examples above.

NOTE: There are only 2 tenders supplied - wp484tend.wag (to be used with engines 481, 484, and 486) and a "dirty" tender wp484tendd.wag to be used with engine 485.

NOTE: Engine files which contain "xtra" in their names denote those engines which have the class lights turned on. Engine files without "xtra" in their names have the class lights turned off.

******************************************************************************************

ALTERNATE HORN SOUND INCLUDED:

Brandon Smith has graciously allowed me to include his sounds for the air horn on SP 4449 with these models. Alternate versions of the .eng files have been created which reference "horn playing" engine, sound, and cabview files. In the main SPMSTS484s folder you'll find two other folders named "HornEngFiles" and "WhistleEngFiles". To change the engines to versions that play the horn, simply copy the files from the "HornEngFiles" folder into the main SPMSTS484s folder. To change back to whistle playing engines, simply copy the files from the "WhistleEngFiles" folder into the main SPMSTS484s folder.

******************************************************************************************

LEGAL:

As author of this new design, I advise that it is copyrighted, but royalty free. You may use it and edit it as you wish, but you may not distribute it for money, or include it in a paid or non paid distribution without permission from Derek Miller, who can be reached via personal message at www.elvastower.com or www.trainsim.com forums (user midneguy). You must include my name in your credits, as well as my copyright notices, and this entire Readme.txt, if you repaint it, use or derive files from it, or otherwise use or distribute these files with my permission. Copyrights for content included in these files, but not created by me as listed in the credits section of this readme.txt, are retained by the original authors. Refer to the included readme text files in the installed "WPMSTS484s" folder for copyright and distribution information for additional content not authored by Derek Miller.

Because this program is royalty free, it is provided WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or any other warranties. There is no liability by the authors in your use of this program, instead all liability is assumed by the user.

CREDITS AND THANK YOUS:

3D Models and textures © 2013 by Derek Miller with the following exceptions:

Special Thanks to Rick Grout for permission to include his excellent SP&S 700 cabview in this download package.

Engineer and Fireman shapes & textures (a.k.a. "Tom's Crews") are provided for use with this
model and may not be copied, modified, and/or transferred to a different model for distribution.
For information on adding "Tom's Crews" to models for distribution, contact
Tom Werb ("Sandy River Tom") via personal message at ElvasTower.com

Extra Thanks go to Tom Werb for creating the Crews for these models.

Sound credits:
Whistle sound provided by Brandon Smith
Bell sound provided by Herb Kelsey
18Turbo, 18Rest11-1, and 18Comp11-2 Sounds provided by Derek Miller
loco4, loco5, and loco6 Sounds provided by Derek Miller with permission from Alan, Youtube user 44950 and recorded from Youtube video http://youtu.be/XEa24Cllaqw

All other non-default sounds provided by Brandon Smith

Texturing and Modeling Advice (from elvastower.com forums): Rick (thegrindre), Tim Muir, Dave Nelson, Bill Pratt, Alexey Soljenitchev, Fleegle411, Allen Norton, Herb Kelsey, Philip Michlian, and Tom Werb.

Providing my "I can do that" moment: Scott (scottb613 at elvastwer.com forums) and his "big dog - birth of a steam locomotive" series.

Inspiriation and Encouragement: All listed above and those at the elvastower.com forums, both in the thread of the construction of these models, and inspiration from other models I have admired.

Herb Kelsey for his help in reviewing technical details of the construction of the models, and refinements to the .eng and .wag file variables.

Donald Yungling for providing many excellent photos and drawings for the models.

Beta Testing and Input: Herb Kelsey, Tim Muir, Mike Long, Donald Yungling, and Tom Werb.

Brandon Smith for providing the .sms concept and the many of the sound files used including the air horn, whistle, and bell from SP 4449.

Tom Werb for the use of his excellent "Tom's Crews" cab figures.

If I have forgotten anyone I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modeling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy these models!

Derek Miller
October, 2013

Download File
Page 1 of 1

Comments

There were no comments found for this file

Page 1 of 1

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
ORTS upgrade for some locomotives - WIP by Weter  (submitted 11 April 2024 - 12:33 PM)

28 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
28 guests, 0 Anonymous Users