30 June 2012 - 09:13 AM
File Size
31.62MB (Estimated Download Times)
Views
Downloads
Support Topic
Click here to visit support topic
MSTS D&RGW DUAL GAUGE 2-8-0 C-48 #1147, #1161 AND TENDERS

ENGINES PROVIDED IN 3 TYPES - PLAYER DRIVEABLE, HELPER (DOUBLE HEAD OR PUSHER SERVICE),
AND AI

These models have been constructed to represent how they would have appeared in the 1930's TO 1950's,
and are configured as dual gauge switchers.

The D&RG purchased these engines as 220 Class 2-8-0's (numbers 1131 to 1199) from Alco-Schenectady in 1906 and 1908.
Later they were reclassed as C-48's and served under this classification for the rest of their careers. All were
retired by 1956 and sadly none were preserved.

Specificaions:

Type: 2-8-0 Wheel Arrangement
Boiler: 200 psi, coal burning
Cylinder Bore and Stroke: 23" x 28"
Valve Gear: Walschaerts
Driving Wheels: 57" Diameter
Overall Wheelbase engine and tender: ~59' 6"
Locomotive Weight Loaded: 220,400 lbs.
Weight on Drivers: 194,100 lbs.
Tractive Effort: 47,489 lbs.

*****************************************************************************************

MODELING INFORMATION:

Locomotive and Tender models created in 3DCrafter Professional Edition, Version 9.1.1 (Build 1256). Post Processing of shape file performed with Shapefixer File Version 0.1.0.39 by Paul Gausden. Textures created using MS Paint and Photoshop Elements 6.0, and converted to .ace format by TGATool2A by Scott Miller.

NOTE: With the exception of numbering, these models were not designed with re-texturing in mind so repaints will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish. Renumbering may be accomplished by editing the files DRGW1147nums.ace, and DRGW1161nums.ace .

*****************************************************************************************

INSTALLATION:

YOU MUST HAVE BIN INSTALLED FOR THESE MODELS AND THEIR LIGHTS TO WORK CORRECTLY. BIN IS ALSO REQUIRED FOR CAB SWITCHING BETWEEN PLAYER AND HELPER LOCOMOTIVES, AND FOR THE ANIMATED DUAL GAUGE COUPLERS. All files needed to run this engine are included, no additional downloads are required.

Unzip DRGWDG280s.zip to a temporary folder.

Move contents to ..\Train Simulator\ folder

Accept write overs if prompted, which will place a single engine consists in the Consists folder and
the locomotive folder in the Trainset folder

NOTES ON BUILDING CONSISTS WITH THE DIFFERENT ENGINE FILE TYPES SUPPLIED:

Included in this release are 3 types of locomotives to be used depending on their use as the lead or single engine in a consist, helper / pusher in a consist, or on an AI train. The sound files have been configured to achieve correct engine sounds for the locomotives in each of these cases, as long as the correct .eng file is used. The .eng files to use for these different applications is as follows:

Lead / single engine in Player consist: DRGW1147.eng, DRGW1161.eng and tender DRGW1147Tend.wag, DRGW1161Tend.wag

Trailing Helper or Pusher in Player consist: DRGW1147Help.eng, DRGW1161Help.eng and tender DRGW1147Tend.wag, DRGW1161Tend.wag

AI consist in any position: DRGW1147AI.eng, DRGW1161AI.eng and tender DRGW1147Tend.wag, DRGW1161Tend.wag

NOTE: Engine files are also supplied if you want to run with the white "extra" class lights turned on by substituting the .eng files that contain "xtra" in their names into the consist of your choice.

ALTERNATE SOUNDS AVAILABLE IN THE SOUND FOLDER:

Some of you may have a preference in whether or not
you want to always hear the open cylinder cock hiss
when you start the engines. I have provided two
versions of the .sms files so you can use the version
you prefer. In the sound folder are two other folders:

"Cyl Cock Hiss"

and

"No Cyl Cock Hiss"

The engines are originally installed using the .sms
files that have the cylinder cock hiss sound present.
If you want to try the models without the cylinder cock
hiss sound, simply copy the files from the
"No Cyl Cock Hiss" folder into the Sound folder.

If you want to have the cylinder cock hiss sound back again,
simply copy the files from the "Cyl Cock Hiss" folder into
the sound folder.

COUPLER ANIMATION:

The front coupler on the engine and rear coupler on the tender are animated on these models to simulate the transition from standard to narrow gauge positions. The coupler movements are animated as right doors - to change the coupler position hit CTRL + number pad 9. This is a cosmetic feature only since it is not possible in MSTS to couple a standard gauge engine to narrow gauge cars on dual gauge track.

******************************************************************************************

LEGAL:

As author of this new design, I advise that it is copyrighted, but royalty free. You may use it and edit it as you wish, but you may not distribute it for money, or include it in a paid or non paid distribution without permission from Derek Miller, who can be reached via personal message at www.elvastower.com or www.trainsim.com forums (user midneguy). You must include my name in your credits, as well as my copyright notices, and this entire Readme.txt, if you repaint it, use or derive files from it, or otherwise use or distribute these files with my permission. Copyrights for content included in these files, but not created by me as listed in the credits section of this readme.txt, are retained by the original authors. Refer to the included readme text files in the installed "DRGWDG280s" folder for copyright and distribution information for additional content not authored by Derek Miller.

Because this program is royalty free, it is provided WHERE IS, AS IS, WITH ALL FAULTS, and WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE or any other warranties. There is no liability by the authors in your use of this program, instead all liability is assumed by the user.

******************************************************************************************

CREDITS AND THANK YOUS:

3D Models and textures © 2012 by Derek Miller with the following exceptions:

3D Model of coupler © 2004 Jeff Link and Tim Muir, Coupler Texture base © 2004 Steve Thompson

Engineer and Fireman shapes & textures (a.k.a. "Tom's Crews") are provided for use with this
model and may not be copied, modified, and/or transferred to a different model for distribution.
For information on adding "Tom's Crews" to models for distribution, contact
Tom Werb ("Sandy River Tom") via personal message at ElvasTower.com

MSTS Steam loco photorealistic cab view,
suitable for US built, small to medium locos,
circa 1910-1935. Operable controls include;
throttle, reverse lever, train and engine
brakes, bell, whistle, sander and cylinder
cocks. From photos of SVRy #19. By Rick
Grout and Steve Thompson.

Cabaview also available as a separate download on www.elvastower.com ( SVRy16cabview.zip ) and
www.trainsim.com (svr16cab.zip )

Sound credits:
Whistle sound provided by Chris Signorelli & Bill Hobbs, North American Steam Whistle Pack.
Bell sound provided by Captain Bazza, aka Barry R Munro
Shoveling sounds provided by Derek Miller
All other non-default sounds provided by Brandon Smith

Texturing and Modeling Advice (from elvastower.com forums): Rick (thegrindre), Tim Muir, Dave Nelson, Bill Pratt, Alexey Soljenitchev, Fleegle411, Allen Norton, and Herb Kelsey.

Inspiriation and Encouragement: All listed above and those at the elvastower.com forums, both in the thread of the construction of these models, and inspiration from other models I have admired.

Herb Kelsey for his help in reviewing technical details of the construction of the models, and refinements to the .eng and .wag file variables. Also thanks for many photographs supplied for reference of various locomotives, pictures of the Handlan class lights, and tri-color D&RGW logo.

Initial Testing and positive input: Herb Kelsey, Jared Singletary, Mike Long, Tim Muir

Brandon Smith for providing the .sms concept and the majority of the sound files used

Tom Werb for the use of his excellent "Tom's Crews" cab figures

Lettering and Number Font - RRRoman and RioGrnde from Railfonts.com

Tim Muir for use of his coal texture.

Steven West for fine tuning the loco3.wav and x_loco3.wav sounds, and looping the safety.wav and x_safety.wav sounds

If I have forgotten anyone I humbly apologize but know that I appreciate all the advice and inspiration I've received. I also must mention that the vast amount of information available on the forums regarding modeling for MSTS has been invaluable. The success I've had in making these models would not have been possible without drawing on the experience of so many others that have blazed the trail before!

Thank you all and hope you enjoy these models!

Derek Miller
June, 2012

Download File
Page 1 of 1

Comments

There were no comments found for this file

Page 1 of 1

Toggle random files Random Files

Screenshot

File Name: Victor Gold Mining Company Mine 1909
In Category: Buildings
Screenshot

File Name: 2 1940's Commercial Buildings
In Category: Buildings

Download Statistics

Total Files
Total Categories
Total Authors
Total Downloads
Latest File:
ORTS upgrade for some locomotives - WIP by Weter  (submitted 11 April 2024 - 12:33 PM)

18 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
18 guests, 0 Anonymous Users